By Patrick Saint-Dizier (auth.), Patrick Saint-Dizier (eds.)
This e-book is the 1st to supply an built-in view of preposition from morphology to reasoning, through syntax and semantics. It bargains new insights in utilized and formal linguistics, and cognitive technology. It underlines the significance of prepositions in a few computational linguistics purposes, akin to info retrieval and desktop translation. The reader will make the most of a variety of perspectives and functions to numerous linguistic frameworks, between which, such a lot significantly, HPSG. The ebook is for researchers operating within the fields of computational linguistics, linguistics, and synthetic intelligence.
Read or Download Syntax and Semantics of Prepositions PDF
Best semantics books
This ebook makes an attempt to marry truth-conditional semantics with cognitive linguistics within the church of computational neuroscience. To this finish, it examines the truth-conditional meanings of coordinators, quantifiers, and collective predicates as neurophysiological phenomena which are amenable to a neurocomputational research.
The LNCS magazine on info Semantics is dedicated to the presentation of striking paintings that, in a single means or one other, addresses study and improvement on matters with regards to facts semantics. The scope of the magazine levels from theories aiding the formal definition of semantic content material to leading edge domain-specific functions of semantic wisdom.
An figuring out of genres in conversation (written and spoken) is vital to specialist good fortune. This quantity reports situationally applicable responses in specialist communique in face-to-face interplay and distance conversation, from a socio-cognitive standpoint. a conventional rhetorical procedure doesn't supply a lot perception within the ways that genres are embedded in communicative job or how actors draw upon style wisdom to accomplish successfully.
Metasemantics includes new paintings at the philosophical foundations of linguistic semantics, via a various team of confirmed and rising specialists within the philosophy of language, metaphysics, and the idea of content material. The technological know-how of semantics aspires to systematically specify the meanings of linguistic expressions in context.
- The Grammar of Polarity: Pragmatics, Sensitivity, and the Logic of Scales, 1st Edition
- Spelling Morphology: The Psycholinguistics of Hebrew Spelling: 3 (Literacy Studies)
- School Discourse: Learning to Write Across the Years of Schooling (Continuum Discourse)
- Treatise on Basic Philosophy: Semantics I: Sense and Reference, 1st Edition
- The Handbook of Language Emergence (Blackwell Handbooks in Linguistics)
- Sense and Sensitivity: How Focus Determines Meaning (Explorations in Semantics)
Extra resources for Syntax and Semantics of Prepositions
Notice that under the phonological analysis, since it is possible to extract a preposition (17-18), it should be possible to extract the preposition in (21), LD and VF then applying to give us (22). Some speakers do accept (22) at first, but upon further investigation, they mention they’ve heard the construction, but wouldn’t use it. Further, every speaker I consulted without exception clearly told me that (21) is the way to express this sentence. As we will see in §6, the grammaticalization of the P+A sequences seems to be fairly recent (XXth century).
Les Pre-stress VF rues à Rouyn. ’ The conclusion to draw from (28) is that there is a boundary in the middle of true VF cases, which isn’t there in P+A constructions. This is straightforwardly accounted for under Analysis 2, but again remains unexplainable under Analysis 1. 6. Conclusion: consequences of the analysis The reanalysis of clitic contractions by VF as new portmanteaux has two implications for the grammar of QF, each raising some interesting theoretical questions. The first implication is phonological: a new vowel (the 21st by my count), /a /, must be admitted.
24) is a grammatical sentence with a different meaning: the corner store and post office are one entity (some corner stores offer basic postal service). In (18), this special meaning was ruled out because a basement cannot be a wardrobe and vice versa, or if so, I suppose all my speakers were unfamiliar with this situation. 11. There is no noticeable difference between the length of the nasal vowel in P+A and in other non-VF contexts. A certain length can always be observed. This is nicely illustrated by the popular spelling dans, for the SF equivalent dans la, which speakers cannot distinguish from the non-feminine dans.